Posted on Mar 09, 2016 under Uncategorized |
Here is a copy of my training plan for the next 3 months. I have to build up to a half marathon before I can start working on my speed. My goal is very ambitious and I only have 6 months to train.
My Monday workout may turn into a 30-60 minute jog.
My Tuesday and Thursday cross train is a bike commute to work where I will travel 25 miles each way by bike. Things will come up where I will change from a bike ride to a swim or other workout.
Wednesday runs are 1/4 mile repeats. 6 at 2:15 pace means I will do 6 laps of 1/4 mile at a 2:15 pace. I can do them faster but I want to build up slowly to avoid injury.
The Friday jog is to help make the legs strong. I will change the plan for week 14 but this is my build phase.
This is a good base training plan. If you are new to running, you may add one or two minutes to the Wednesday repeats and cut the Saturday runs in half.
Edit this plan in any way that you. My goal is to give you a general idea of a plan.
Posted on Mar 06, 2016 under Articles, Training |
I have a goal of placing in a race in 2016. Now that I have a goal, it is time to start working toward that goal.
- Get started. I went for a 5-mile jog at 10:00 minutes per mile.
- Analyze ways to achieve your goal.
- I tend to eat a lot more than I did five years ago.
- I drink less water than five years ago
- I exercise a lot less than five years ago
- My body is a lot healthier than it was five years ago
- I am a lot weaker than five years ago
- Create a plan
- Realizing that I was frequently injured in the past, I cut down on the number of run days. I am afraid that reducing the amount of running that I do will hurt my chances for placing in a race but I feel that showing up healthy will increase my chances of placing in a race.
- The plan that I will post is a running plan. I will post the training plan after Alamedarunners II shows up to teach me how to format an excel document for posting.
- I chose a running event in September as my target race.
- I am going to race in 3 triathlons between now and the event that I am attempting to place in.
I picked two Brazen Racing events in September for my goal of placing. I will be happy if I can reach a top 5 in both races. Reason for my selections:
- I love Brazen races
- I like these courses.
- Both courses are very hot and very hilly.
- If I can achieve my hill climbing mentality for training, I have a good chance of placing in these races.
Trail Hog in San Jose
Drag – N – Fly in Antioch, CA
Posted on Mar 05, 2016 under Articles, Misc |
I just noticed that the wheels fell off the bus. It has been over a year since my last post. For various reasons, I got away from running and running related activities and gained about 30 pounds. I just set a goal for myself to place in a race in 2016. I am usually humble with my goals and finishing is my goal. I am moving into a new age group (55-59, if you are wondering), this give me a chance to place. Placing in a race is very hard. I may not meet my goal but I am going to try.
Ted’s rules for for a goal. Note; Ted is Alamedarunners
- Create a goal.
- It does not matter what the goal is, come up with a goal.
- Work toward the goal
- I have a lofty goal; I will start by getting out and running.
- Find a target event
- Create a training plan around my lifestyle
- Find ways to implement the plan
- Do not give up
- Do my best to achieve my goal.
- To do my best in achieving my goal, I must do my best in training.
- No excuses.
I post my goals because I know that I used to have a lot of readers who followed me and took what I said to heart. This site was created to help others. My current goal is to help me. I hope that my selfish objective will help others in their ambitions to help themselves.
This site was created to help a group of people obtain their goal of finishing the inaugural Oakland running festivals half marathon. Now, I am using the site to help me with my own ambitions to get back into shape. I may never meet my earlier standards but I hope to get better than I am today.
- For the record, the inaugural Oakland running festival was about 6-7 years ago.
- I could run a half marathon in about 1 hour 40 minutes.
- I wore a size 28 waist.
- I weighed about 130 pounds
- I now squeeze into size 34 pants
- I weigh close to 170 pounds
- I don’t know if I can run 13 miles.
I have goal. It is a start.